Wednesday, March 13, 2013

George Jones

I like country music. I didn't always like it. My friend Meghan got my sister and I to listen to it about 10 years ago. It was a hard sell at first. We really weren't digging it. Over time we slowly developed an interest in the more modern songs.

Now you can hear country on pop radio. The likes of Taylor Swift, Hunter Hayes and Carrie Underwood have made country cool. Really Carrie is probably the one we have to thank. Ever since she won American Idol country had been growing in popularity.

My husband however loves classic country. He likes the roots of it all. I really have a hard time getting into that. I mean some artists you can't help but like. If you listen to country at all you know the popular ones. They will still reference them in songs today. You have to respect the people who pioneered the genre.

My husband's favorite? You guessed it, George Jones. Why else would that be my title? I happened to come across his Farewell Tour last weekend. We were on a long car ride home. We were both tired so I was coming up with just about anything to entertain us.

Well we passed a unique concert destination. I have been to it before. I always tell him that I want to take him there. It is hard to get him to concerts. He has little patience for crowds or traffic. So I looked the venue up to see who was coming there soon.

He jokingly said "Olllllleeee Possum" (possum being a nickname for Mr. Jones). I started to laugh when I saw he was indeed coming there this summer. I don't think I have seen his face light up like it did when I said it was an option. He immediately asked me how much tickets were.

I managed to secure some on the floor of this intimate venue. I can't wait to take him to this concert. Not only is the location up on a hill with the most scenic views, but he will be so close to one of his favorite classic country artists that he will feel like he could reach out and touch him.

It's the little things in life that make it so wonderful. Ever since I bought him these tickets I will catch him listening to the songs he hopes to hear on his computer in his office. I suppose I can handle one night of the twangy, stereotypical country music. It will be worth it to see my husband's smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment