Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spring is Coming

Today we were supposed to wake up to snow, but that didn't happen. It is actually pretty warm considering it is still Winter for a couple of weeks. There is a topic that I thought would be fun to discuss because it is starting to get nicer.

Gardening, more accurately bulb plants. The general rule is to plant bulbs in the fall to have them come up in the Spring, but I am terrible at that. As great a gardner as I can be, by Fall I usually stop caring what my yard looks like.

I have a trick I started to make sure I have beautiful flowers each spring. I buy the actual bulb plants as we get closer to Easter and then the weekend before I plant them in my garden. This way when people come for dinner my yard is bursting with beautiful Spring flowers.

I have just been buying 2 or 3 new things each year. So now after several years at our house I have a nice variety of things blooming in my flower beds. There is one important tip to this that needs to be mentioned. Once the flowers have bloomed out (meaning they dried up and the petals have started to fall off), fold the plant in half and rubberband or tie them with twine.

This will allow them to breakdown quicker. That way once May comes they aren't still hanging around when you go to plant your regular Summer flowers. The only other thing to be careful of is that you remember where the bulbs are so you don't accidentally dig them up.

I like to recommend to plant an actual flowering plant because if you aren't familiar with bulbs you may end up planting them upside down. That can't happen if you are planting a flowering bulb. This will allow you to feel like you have a green thumb. Plus I always get excited to know spring is coming when I see my tulips breaking through the ground.

My bulb plants have peeked out so that inspired me to write this post. I included a picture from last spring. The first to bloom was a hyacinth I had originally bought from the children's choir at church, the first year we were in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment