Monday, February 25, 2013

Another World

When I met my husband Brett the only racing I knew of was NASCAR. Well, ok I can't say that, I knew there were other forms, but I didn't really pay attention to them. I knew my sister's friend Jamie was involved in racing and I listened to her talk about it a few times, but it never crossed my mind to be more interested.

Flash forward now almost 6 years and I am way more involved then I could have ever imagined I would be. Most people tell me it is hard to successfully bring an "outsider" in. I see why that is true.

If you don't get a good experience the first few times, you may not get hooked. I became addicted because I started as just a spectator when you get to see a lot of great race car drivers come together. My first experiences were in the fall, at the end of the season. It is like one big party every weekend, for several weeks in a row. Most of the people I have in my life now have spent their lives at dirt tracks. It certainly gave me a whole new perspective on car racing.

I mean there was so much to learn. There were so many different types. Some even look so similar it comes down to the type of motor they have. Talk about confusing, to someone who has no clue what is going on. I was blessed though. Brett had lots of friends. They were more than willing to explain things to me.

He didn't have time. He was there working. His main source of income at the time came from covering these events as a sports writer. Luckily I had some good "babysitters" that made sure I didn't get hit by a car and explained what was going on every step of the way.

Now I can't remember what my life was like before all this. I have met some of the most amazing people and made life long friends. You can't imagine the network of people you connect with. I have never been so thankful.

We have taken on some serious new ventures in our evolvement in dirt track racing. We do trade shows and mall shows to promote a now officially registered business. In the summer we will promote & co-promote a total of 5 races. Who would of imagined I would be doing this? Certainly not me, but I couldn't imagine my life any other way.

It may have not been a way of life for me, but it certainly is now. The pictures I have to share this week are from the 7th mall show floor plan I have done. And upon permission of his mother I added a photo of a special little neighbor friend, that illustrates that you grow up addicted to race cars.







1 comment: