Monday, February 18, 2013

Furry Friends

I know not everyone is a fan of pets. When I was little I always wanted a dog. I knew my mom would never let us have one. Finally in 7th grade I decided to write a letter to my parents about why we should be allowed to get a cat.

I had fish and a hamster up to this point, but a cat was a real commitment. Surprisingly they agreed and my dad started looking for a free kittens sign. One Saturday he saw one coming home from golf and told me to grab a cardboard box and get in the van.

We walked up to a dog crate with 3 cats in it. He started talking to them and that was when Morgan picked us. He came to the front and stuck his paw out. He wanted out. My dad said that is the one we want. We opened the crate and stuck him in the box. Half way home we heard a strangled cry.

Morgan had managed to get his head out of the folded box flaps and was strangling himself. I had to climb through the moving van to rescue him. I carefully opened the flaps and carried him to the front. He happily sat on my lap the rest of the way home.

We lost Morgan a few years ago to kidney failure. We got Kasey when he was slowing down to keep him going. Now for our family cats are a staple. Altogether between 3 households we have or had 8.

I know not everyone loves cats, but I can't remember life without one. There is just something about having them come cuddle with you. My husband and I just lost one of his childhood cats 2 years ago. In the 3 years I lived with her I had fallen in love. I was devastated. We weren't going to get a kitten, but I was so depressed we had to.

We have had Dela for 2 years now. She has laid on my lap asleep while I wrote this entire post. She has a unique personality, like each cat I have ever had. I love her. If you ever thought about getting one you should. They are sweet, loving creatures. Maybe you aren't a cat person, but I am, and I recommend giving them a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment