Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Flowers Forever

I became a floral designer by doing a favor. When I was 16 my friend Stacey and a fellow classmate both worked as floral assistants at a local florist. They both wanted off to go on the ski club's trip to Vermont. The only way they could go was to find someone to work for them for Valentine's Day.

I started exactly 2 weeks before Valentine's Day. I learned a lot about processing all types of flowers and how to take loose stems and make bouquets. I learned how to box and wrap flowers, but nothing prepared me for how hectic the day would be.

I had never seen men so desperate. I couldn't believe that they would take just about anything we had and pay whatever we told them. We sold Godiva chocolate too. It was like a frenzy to get the biggest box we had left as we were ready to lock the doors at 7 pm.

At the end of the night the owner gave me a bonus for working so hard and doing such a fantastic job. I got a dozen bloomed out roses. A term we use for ones that had opened too far to sell. And I got a 6 piece box of chocolate that was being held by a little teddy bear.

It was a highlight for me. It also got me addicted. I worked there for 2 years and they taught me some skills to make arrangements. When I left I went to a grocery store chain that had an extensive floral department.

I would always admire the work they did. I would be a little jealous I was just a cashier and not back there. I worked at the store through high school and when I came home for holidays my first year of college.

When I decided to move home to commute to college they needed help in the floral department. I mentioned I already had training and after that I basically never cashiered again, unless they were in a pinch. It was a dream come true and an opportunity of a lifetime.

I learned how to do everything. I got to do weddings and proms. I learned how to do the accounting and take care of all kinds of plants. I thought when I finished college I would be able to manage one of the stores floral departments.

I even was an interim manager during my senior year for a location that had a gap of time between when the old manager quit and the new one could begin. I was in charge during Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is huge for merchandise purchasing, special order arrangement making and marketing displays.

My course changed though. I miss floral design every day. I have looked at spaces and written and re-written my business plan to open my own shop. It just isn't the right time.

With Valentine's Day right around the corner I miss the crazy hours and being surrounded by flowers. I miss the jokes about how tired we are and how we want to amputate our feet. One of the greatest memories was a man picking through our garbage because we had nothing left. We laughed about it for days after. It was always such a family atmosphere no matter where I worked.

The pictures I chose to share are the centerpieces I made for my own wedding. And the flowers I designed for my best friend's wedding. I have done lots of events on my own out of my kitchen lately, but it isn't the same. Some day I will be able to find that magic again, it just isn't in the cards right now.





No comments:

Post a Comment