Friday, February 15, 2013

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

I can't take any credit for the recipe I want to share with you today. I promise all the ones I suggest won't be butternut squash. It just happens to be one of those things we love. Plus it is sort of what inspired me to create the dish from last Friday. The sweet yet savory thing work so well. I found this recipes years ago after we ordered butternut squash soup out one night and loved it.

I was skeptical of the sweetness mixed in, but it works. Beside the fact that my husband and I love it, people I have made this for really enjoy it too. I thought I would just give some quick tips. I know people who don't cool often look at some recipes and get scared. Especially if there are a lot of ingredients or tasks.

It really is best in the fall when apples and squash are in season. I love to use gala or honeycrisp apples because they are our favorite to eat. I know honeycrisp are expensive, but trust me they are worth every penny. The best onions are sweet ones, vidalia are perfect for this. It is also important to have good apple cider. We have a local place that makes it and I think that makes it taste that much better.

What I recommend is to peel your butternut squash first. You can use a regular hand peeler, but I recommend peeling away from yourself because you may have to use some force. Then after it is peeled I take a knife and cut where the straight part ends and the rounded part begins. Then flip the rounded section to the now flat, cut area and slice it in half. Then just get a spoon and scrape the seeds right into your trash. Then you can cut it into smaller pieces.

Now I know you are thinking what about that pre-packaged, already cut stuff from last week? Yeah it works, but I will be the first to admit, it doesn't taste as good. Once the squash is ready start the onions and then go back to do the apples. I don't know that it makes a huge deal , but I don't like the apples to get brown. I also recommend using an apple slicer/corer combo to save time.

My favorite kitchen gadget is my Ninja it is basically a blender, chopper, food processor. I have 2. That is how much I love them. I had the original and then I got a newer version and now there is a deluxe one I am eyeing. It works amazing to purée the soup mixture. I also always take this opportunity to transfer the soup to a second pot to make life easier.

I add extra fresh ground pepper and a little cayenne pepper to my soup. Not everyone likes heat, but we enjoy it a little spicy. Just don't get carried away. A little red pepper goes a long way.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.



No comments:

Post a Comment