Tuesday, February 12, 2013

For Your Valentine

Some people go above and beyond on this holiday. Lots of people say it is over commercialized. I think it is because everyone assumes you have to spend a lot of money.

For years I have been doing Valentine's Day on a budget. I learned this idea from my mom. She always made a fancy dinner that we ate in the dining room. She would decorate the table with heart confetti, candles and light up roses.

She would put a little 4 piece box of chocolate by our spot and a gift bag full of simple little gifts. Usually like socks and a cute pajama set or something fun for spring like flip flops and tank tops.

I have continued the theme with my husband. Thanks to Pinterest you can come up with all sorts of cute table setting ideas. They also have craft ideas for gifts you can make.

He gets me flowers. Guess how he does it without spending a fortune? He works at a tech school that has students studying floral design! He can place an order and pick them up before the students leave. Not everyone has access to that, but I was a floral designer for years. You don't have to get roses. There are affordable options. My sister's favorite is daisies. They are very affordable. Plus there are plenty of Internet companies now that offer great deals.

We always have a special dessert too. We don't normally eat any. I never keep any kind of real sweets. This is a day of love and you can indulge. One day doesn't ruin your healthful lifestyle.

I don't think people hate the holiday. I think they hate the pressure and money. You can have an amazing Valentine's Day without breaking the bank. My only advice is splurge for a good card. I love them. I think it is very meaningful to put in the time and effort to pick out a special one.

I hope your Valentine's Day is full of love and happiness, no matter how you chose to spend it.

1 comment: