Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bridging the Gap

When I tell a lot of people that one of my best friends is 10 years younger than me (ok for half the year only 9 years younger) they look at me like I am crazy. Once you're an adult it doesn't really matter. What it really comes down to is the behavior you exhibit.

We became friends by accident really. We were acquaintances, but for a long time I was better friends with her parents. Then a friend of ours, who was a little older than her, but younger than us, expressed an interest in dating her. You can imagine my reservations at 28 spending time with an 18 year old recent high school graduate.

Let's face it most teenagers just finishing high school aren't really mature. I was shocked to find out that wasn't the case here. There was still a life learning curve, but by far she was light years aged of most teenagers. She probably giggled more than most people I spent time with, but her happiness was infectious.

It gave me a new perspective on life. Becoming friends with her let me almost get a life do-over. I was able to help her keep from making a lot of the same mistakes I did. I mean there are some situations where you just aren't going to listen to anyone because you think you are right. That is just growing up. But for the most part I taught her how to make good decisions.

You wouldn't expect to become so close to someone that you have to talk to them every day. That is what happened. I know I can rely on her for just about anything because she is the sweetest, most giving human being you will ever meet. I trust her with my life

She is my hair stylist so that is basically like signing your life over to someone else. I'm just kidding it's just hair. It will grow back. After all I was her first live hair cut. I must have had faith and a lot of trust because I let her do it 3 months before my wedding.

I may have put additional pressure on her. I pretended to be a Bridezilla and threatened to kick her out if she messed it up. She did fine though. Now I get so many compliments on my hair it is ridiculous. So clearly she is as amazing as I believed she would be.

Does she still have a lot to learn? Yeah. She hasn't even reached the part of life where it gets hard. But I will be there to continue to guide her on. She planned great surprises for me on my 30th birthday and I can't wait to do the same for her in 10 more years (gulp that means I will be 40 shortly following). Maybe we can share a life crisis moment.

The point? You can find friendships in unlikely places. I get just as much out of this relationship as I give. That is all you can ask for. Age is just a number. Care, concern and emotional support is worth more than you can describe. So keep your eyes and mind open to any and all potential friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment